Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For Today, We Pray...

For today,
We pray...
For the million little and large things that put those we know into distress and harm and hopelessness. We pray for a million shimmers of your grace to touch them and hold them.

In this day,
We pray...
For the million things that face us...
Paying the bills, appointments, taking our kids to soccer or our aging mothers to the doctors office, running to the store for apples and cereal and whatever we can find that is quick and easy and healthy to put on the table...in addition to the million things we do as your people, oh God...
Like listening to a co-worker, or planning for worship on Sunday and the bible study on Thursday, or getting that report done by 5:00.

This day will be full with millions of things...
And in them all,
Help us remember that you are God, and we are not,
And you love us and call us Beloved.
Amen.

2 comments:

Terri said...

ahhh, amen amen...a million times, amen.

Clarence Heller said...

I like the line "Help us remember that you are God, and we are not." I often use the verse from Ps 46 "Be still and know that I am God" when speaking with others about prayer. Out of my own experience, for a long time I put the emphasis on the first part of that sentence, i.e. becoming still during prayer. Once though, longing for something moving to happen during my prayer time, I realized that I cannot make any particular thing happen during prayer, and so I surrendered this to God. So now I put the emphasis on the second part of the sentence with the intention that what I want is what God wants to happen during my prayer time...because I am not God. Because I choose to surrender to and trust God.