Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Prayer

Like the joy of the sea coming home to shore,
May the relief of laughter rinse through your soul.

As the wind loves to call things to dance,
May your gravity be lightened by grace.

Like the dignity of moonlight restoring the earth,
May your thoughts incline with reverence and respect.

As water take whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

As silence smiles on the other side of what's said,
May your sense of irony bring perspective.

As time remains free of all that it frames,
May your mind stay clear of all it names.

May your prayer of listening deepen enough
To hear in the depths the laughter of God.

O'Donohue, John. To Bless the Space Between Us. NY: Doubleday, 2008. 127.

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Please keep me in your prayers for discernment...I have been through a lot of anger and frustration with my faith and with my home church. I'm not sure where the boundaries between those two are, or if there are any.

I'm at a watershed place. I've given myself Lent off (I really did give up religion for Lent).

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Oh, Mary Beth, how painful....I will keep you in prayer for sure.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I could use prayers too--I am majorly stressing out about my retreat handouts, a post for the feminist theology blog, and a couple of job apps. One is for a local one year college teaching position and one for a half time, upstate, college campus ministry position. I am so worn out with putting myself out there and getting rejections all the time....

Gannet Girl said...

Prayers for both of you, and thanks to the people, especially Sophia and Songbird, who prayed for me yesterday. First week done and OK.

Unknown said...

Hugs and prayers all around, my friends.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

gg - glad to hear you made it thru the first week ok. step by step by step...

mb - that is so hard. you will keep being in my prayers.

sophia - prayers for you too.