Thursday, November 8, 2012

Storms

Willow

To understand
A little of how a shaken love
May be sustained


Consider
The giant stillness
Of a willow


After a storm.
This morning it is more than peaceful
But last night that great form


Was tossed and hit
By what seemed to me
A kind of cosmic hate,


An infernal desire
 To harass and confuse,
Mangle and bewilder


Each leaf and limb
With every vicious
Stratagem


So that now I cannot grasp
The death of nightmare.
How it has passed away


Or changed to this
Stillness,
This clean peace


That seems so unshakable
A branch beyond my reach says
"It is well


"For me to feel
The transfiguring breath
Of evil


"Because yesterday
The roots by which I live
Lodged in apathetic clay.


"But for that fury
How should I be rid of the slow death?
How should I know


"That what a storm can do
Is to terrify my roots
And make me new?"


~ Brendan Kennelly ~
(A Time for Voices)

No comments: