Saturday, January 8, 2011

I Don't Want to Live A Small Life


(Photo taken by Terri C. Pilarski)

I don't want to live a small life. Open your eyes,
open your hands. I have just come
from the berry fields, the sun

kissing me with its golden mouth all the way
(open your hands) and the wind winged clouds
following along thinking perhaps I might

feed them, but no I carry these heart-shapes
only to you. Look how many how small
but so sweet and maybe the last gift

I will ever bring to anyone in this
world ofhope and risk,  so do.
Look at me. Open your life, open your hands.

(Mary Oliver: Red Bird; Beacon Press, 2008)


In this season after the Epiphany may we learn to live with open hands and even more open hearts. May the grace of God's peace flow in you and through you. Open your life, let God's love flow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really love this poem. Thanks for posting it.