Tuesday, January 11, 2011

from Hildegard of Bingen

I have been thinking about the word "mystic"...and how to renew  "mystical" in my journey.  So, I have pulled Hildegard's "Book of Divine Works" and randomly picked this passage from one of her visions, where it seems that the Mystery of God is speaking to her:

And thus I remain hidden in every kind of reality as a fiery power.  Everything burns because of me in such a way as our breath constantly moves us, like the wind-tossed flame in a fire.  All of this lives in its essence, and there is no death in it.  For I am life.  I am also Reason, which beats within itself the breath of the resounding Word, through which the whole of creation is made.  I breathe life inot everything so that nothing is mortal in respect to its species.  For I am life.

Honestly, I don't really know what most of that means, but I love the taste and sound of the words strung together...mystical.

May the Mystery of God and your inner mystic surprise you with life today.
Amen.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Sometimes the mystics are profound and sometimes I find their thoughts completely incomprehensible....nonetheless this reads beautifully. Maybe it is the sort of prayer that reveals itself as one prays it?