Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why?




Dear God-as-I-understand-you,
I don't understand.

Why must there be sorrow and betrayal and falseness?
Death and destruction and starvation?
Sometimes you are impossible to see.
But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’

The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul that seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
- Lamentations 3:21-26, NRSV

Hat-tip to Kathrynzj

2 comments:

Terri said...

One of my favorite prayers, and that upon which I place all my hope: the steadfast love of God never ceases. Amen.

Gaye said...

Thank you for giving words to a prayer I am praying in the midst of loss and confusion and grief.