Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wednesday Prayer

The Call to Prayer

Cast your burden upon the LORD, and the Lord will sustain you;* the Lord will never let the righteous stumble. (Psalm 55:24)

The Request for Presence

O LORD, I am your servant;* I am your servant and the child of your handmaid; you have freed me from my bonds. I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving* and call upon the Name of the LORD. I will fulfill my vows to the LORD* in the presence of all the Lord's people. (Psalm 116:14–16)

The Greeting


I will offer you a freewill sacrifice* and praise your Name, O LORD, for it is good. For you have rescued me from every trouble,* and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.(Psalm 54:6–7)

The Refrain for the Morning Lessons


The LORD is near to those who call upon the Lord,* to all who call upon God faithfully. (Psalm 145:19)

A Reading

Jesus taught his disciples, saying: “You foolish men! So slow to believe all that the prophets have said! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer before entering into his glory?” Then, starting with Moses and going through all the prophets, he explained to them all the passages throughout the scriptures that were about himself. (Luke 24:25–27)

The Refrain

The LORD is near to those who call upon the Lord,* to all who call upon God faithfully.

The Morning Psalm

Teach Me Your Way, O LORD

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth;* knit my heart to you that I may fear your Name. I will thank you, O LORD my God, with all my heart,* and glorify your Name for evermore. For great is your love toward me;* you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit. The arrogant rise up against me, O God, and a band of violent men seeks my life;* they have not set you before their eyes. But you, O LORD, are gracious and full of compassion,* slow to anger, and full of kindness and truth. Turn to me and have mercy upon me;* give your strength to your servant; and save the child of your handmaid. Show me a sign of your favor, so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;* because you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me. (Psalm 86:11–17)

The Refrain

The LORD is near to those who call upon the Lord,* to all who call upon God faithfully.

The Cry of the Church

O Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come unto you. Thanks be to God. (THE SHORT BREVIARY)

The Lord’s Prayer

Our Father and Mother, who art in heaven, hallowed be your Name. May your kingdom come, and your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil; for yours are the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

The Prayer Appointed for the Week

I thank you, heavenly One, that you have delivered me from the dominion of sin and death and brought me into the kingdom of your Son; and I pray that, as by his death he has recalled me to life, so by his love he may raise me to eternal joys; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. †

The Concluding Prayer of the Church

Lord God, almighty and everlasting One, you have brought me in safety to this new day: Preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of your purpose; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

Adapted Morning Office

No comments: