Thursday, April 5, 2007

In the courtyard of the high priest



Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him."

But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said.

A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them."

"Man, I am not!" Peter replied.

About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean."

Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.

Luke 22:54-62


I've always thought of this as a story about human frailty, about how even Peter, the best and the brightest of the apostles, had failed his Teacher.

This week, though, I’ve been thinking about what Peter was doing in that courtyard. I mean, where were the rest of them? What made Peter follow Jesus right into courtyard of the high priest when everyone else bailed? I can see him there trying to get as close to Jesus as possible. It got chilly after the sun went down and they’d built a fire to warm themselves. What courage Peter must have had, huddled near the fire, trying to keep warm as he worked on figuring out what was happening, trying not to be noticed. He must have been so frightened. I imagine that Jesus was frightened, too, and it must have been a comfort to look over and see his friend there, even though he already understood the weakness that would lead that friend to deny him.

Poor Peter, already forgiven by Jesus but unable to forgive himself for giving in to his fears. He went outside and wept bitterly.


Jesus, I want to follow you wherever you go. Help me find the courage to be like faithful Peter, who wasn’t perfect but never stopped trying.

10 comments:

Teri said...

oh, Peter. I identify with him in so many ways...and now this way--unable to forgive himself. So poignant, and so perfect for this Holy Week.

Thanks...

Unknown said...

Peter is a treasure and a challenge and a comrade. I'm with him more often than I might like to admit.

smkyqtzxtl said...

"Go tell the disciples and Peter". Many times I have been given that special mercy and grace when I have been out there alone and ashamed. Thank You Lord.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I am ripped apart with anguish and shame about my son Nicholas's behavior and attitude right now, and I don't know how to handle it. Also don't want to discuss it on the public blog out of respect for him, since I use my real name. Please pray for healing for both of us and guidance and discernment for me. Also for courage for my husband to step up to the plate and begin working beside me on this huge challenge.

Anonymous said...

weird today at the Maundy Thursday service I was stuck by the same thing ... Peter went into the courtyard ... He was drawn there ... which shows enormous courage. he did deny Jesus yes, but later on became a great leader - with compassion - that gives us hope I think.

and likeSongbird I identify with Peter a lot - :)

Laura - praying for you and your son! Shame is not from God - but wisdom of how to handle what sounds like a tough situation is. May You be guided clearly!

hugs

Sally said...

prayers for Nicholas - (((Laura)))

Unknown said...

I'll pray, too, Laura.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Thank you so much, my sisters. It wasn't fun to spend an hour praying and crying my guts out that morning, but having put out the prayer alert and knowing I had your support helped me do it. And it led to a breakthrough that helped me be in a whole different place that evening when he degenerated again....Will probably blog about it later. Quite the Maundy Thursday experience!

see-through faith said...

still praying Laura - because we can all do with someone carrying our cross - even Jesus did :)

blessed Good friday to all

Unknown said...

Prayers for Mother Laura for wisdom in how to handle her son's behavior.

Prayers for Nicholas in how to express his feelings and thoughts in healthy ways.

What a powerful meditation and thoughts on Peter, thank you. Would I be such a fool for Christ?