Wednesday, March 7, 2007

As Pants the Hart for Cooling Streams

As pants the hart for cooling streams
When heated in the chase,
So longs my soul, O God, for thee
And thy refreshing grace.
For thee, my God, the living God,
Mythirsty soul doth pine:
O when shall I behold thy face,
Thou Majesty divine?
Why restless, why cast down, my soul?
Hope still, and thou shalt sing
The praise of him who is thy God,
Thy health's eternal spring.
To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
The God whom we adore,
Be glory, as it was, is now,
And shall be evermore.
Nahum Tate & Nicholas Brady

4 comments:

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

Asking for prayers for an older woman of my congregation who suffered a bad fall and is in considerable pain.

And prayers for me, too. It seems a little....ridiculous to ask for prayers for an-end-to-grouchiness, but this being in limbo really sucks, and I seem to have a bad attitude about EVERYTHING.

Unknown said...

That's a good thing to pray for, juniper, and I will (both). This poem is a perfect prayer for me as I try to keep a fever at bay today. Thank you.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

Thanks songbird. I actually feel a lot better now. :)

smkyqtzxtl said...

The prayer of my heart (hart) today was this Psalm feeling kind of beat of, then I read this post! thank you for the blessing of putting this in such a lovely way and the lovely picture also. Prayers for the needs we have spoken and those we have not . Thanks