Sunday, February 25, 2007

God of us all, Source of Life, Creation and Beauty, we ask your blessing upon us as we begin our Lenten journey. We have a long way to go. The cross is so far ahead of us that we can barely see it on the horizon.

And yet, we know it will come into view soon enough. Sometimes we feel tempted to avoid the difficulties of this season of Lent. Sometimes it just seems too much to endure, and we would rather find an easier path to travel. God, stay with us, we pray. Remind us that the journey is as vital as the destination and that we are not alone - you are with us.

In praise and thanksgiving, we are thankful for the deep blessings we experience in this life and for the assurance of your abiding and eternal presence with us. Bless all who are in need of your love - the grieving, the lost, the lonely, and all who suffer in mind, body or spirit. God, place your healing hand upon our woundedness, and grant us your peace, for we ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

6 comments:

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

Sue,
Thanks for these words, which I used at church today during the pastoral prayer. It's a good prayer written down, and it's GREAT out loud, so thank you so much.

All, A very long prayer request ahead. Read at your own peril.

I am coveting prayers these days as I prepare for a job change. I'm looking for a new call, and have been in conversation with a couple of churches, one of which I really think would be a good fit for me, and I hope they think so too. This job would involve a move to another city about three hours away, and a move like that really stresses out my DH, so I'm requesting prayers for him too, as we discern together our next path.

Of course, the process is lonnnggg, and they are talking to other people too, so I just don't know what to expect next, or WHEN to expect the whatever-it-is. I really want to blog about this All The Time, but my blog is not exactly secret, so I can't. Since I often process stuff via blog (and since I'm just too flaky for a secret blog - there's no way I would remember to change my sign-in, etc), this has been pretty frustrating.

I have moments of deep calm and surrender to God, and moments of real impatience and anxiety. I'm trying to love both, but lean into the surrender more. This is hard work, and makes me tired, so I'm more taxed than I'd like to be.

All of which is me saying, any prayers you can send my way, particularly that I am able to surrender to the process, would be so appreciated.

Thy Will Be Done...

smkyqtzxtl said...

We ask Lord for Your Peace that passes understanding, and for Your Understanding and Wisdom that surpasses all human knowledge in this discernment process. Bless this time of transistion, of becoming, and make your way known clearly in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen

Unknown said...

Jen, you are in my prayers as you engage in the process. May you and your husband feel God's hand in whatever takes place and be calmed by it.

Anonymous said...

praying...

also would appreciate your prayers - our pastor gave a weird sermon yesterday about God not being love ... or that not being the main thing ... and I'm reacting badly.

There are heaps of reasons for this ... and I really need to hear God's voice to me right now.

Thanks and love to you prayer pals

Sue said...

Praying for you Jen and Lorna...

Anonymous said...

Praying for you both. Tough times.